英文有好多同關於食物的片語,例如我地最經常聽到的 ‘the apple of my eye’。呢句的意思就係 ‘你係我珍貴的人’。你覺唔覺得當唔同字組合係一齊,可以構成唔同意思,真係好有趣?

 

今日我地就來學8個同食物有關的片語啦!

 

Big cheese

團體中最重要的人

 

I thought I was just going to interview the secretary, but they let me talk to the big cheese!
我以為同我面試的只係秘書,但原來我要同大老闆見面!

 

Bread and butter

收入來源,謀生之道

 

Farming is my bread and butter right now.
耕種係我而家的收入來源。

 

Bring home the bacon

賺錢回家

 

My husband has had to bring home the bacon ever since I broke my leg.
自從我整傷隻腳,我先生就負責賺錢返來。

 

Butter someone up

對某人釋出善意,希望得到有利的回應

 

We have to butter Jenny up before we tell her the news about the broken vase.
我地要係話比Jenny聽個花樽打爛左之前討好佢先。

 

Cool as a cucumber

保持鎮定

 

I thought I was afraid of flying, but I was cool as a cucumber all the way to England.
我以為我好驚搭飛機,但我係去英國的途中一路都好鎮定。

 

Cry over spilled milk

後悔已做過的事,覆水難收

 

The mirror is broken and we cannot fix it. There’s no need to cry over spilled milk.
我地已經修補唔返塊打爛左的鏡,而家喊來都無用。

 

Egg someone on

慫恿某人

 

The gang tried to egg us on but we did not want to fight.
個班人嘗試慫恿我地,但我地唔想打交。

 

Full of beans

精力充沛,活力十足

 

The kids were full of beans after going to the Ocean Park.
班小朋友去完海洋公園後仍然精力充沛。